June 26, 2021Recipes
Recipe by Tsarina Abrao Vacha
This dessert is a showstopper, celebrating the forever faves - Chocolate Cake and Caramel Custard! A fudgy and gooey intense chocolate cake is baked to perfection with a cafe latte caramel custard. With three simple steps, it's ready for the oven and then it's indulgence time!
Preheat oven 180°C
7 inch diameter cake tin
Put 50gm sugar into the cake tin and place it over the fire to caramelise the sugar (use tongs to swirl and coat base well). Leave to cool.
Combine in a bowl:
- 3 eggs
- 120 ml condensed milk
- 300 ml milk
- 2 tbsp strong espresso (or 1 tbsp Instant Coffee dissolved in 2 tbsp boiling water)
Strain (to remove eggy bits!) and keep aside.
FOR THE CAKE LAYER
Put into your dry grinder/ food processor:
- 100 gm sugar
- 40 gm almonds
- 75 gm plain flour
- 25 gm Cocoacraft Dutch Process Cocoa Powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
Once powdered, put into a bowl and keep aside.
Heat in a pan
- 50 ml milk
- 50 gm butter
When butter melts, add:
- 50 gm Cocoacraft 70% Dark Chocolate (6 squares) and stir till the chocolate melts
- Add 125 ml (1/2cup) curd
- 1/2 tbsp vinegar
- Mix and pour immediately over the flour mixture; stir quickly and pour over the set caramel in the cake tin.
- Pour custard mix carefully over the batter (don't worry if you see bits of batter floating)
- Place the cake tin in a larger baking dish which has about 2 inches of hot water (bain marie) and put into the pre heated oven. Bake for 50 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes, run a knife along the inside of the tin and invert onto a serving dish.
- Leave in the fridge to cool before serving.